Wednesday, January 3, 2007

InXs

The group? Nope. This is referring to alot of the items that we still have to go through after we cleared out Mom's house. My garage is packed to the rafters, as is my brothers. Mom collected alot of different things, and those items were easy to distribute. Items such as her kachina collection, or wild bird collection. These little treasures are proudly displayed in our homes.

But other items, such as the hundreds of cookbooks, still need to be gone through and determine what to do with those that no one wants. Name any kind of ethnic cooking, or type of produce, and Mom had a cookbook pertaining to it. I'd love to save them all, and cook at least one item from each, but we just do not have the space for all of them.

We also need to go through all the needlework supplies that she had accumulated over the years. Fabrics, flosses, cross-stitch charts, trims, needles. Between myself, sister-in-law and nieces we should be able to get it distributed. Plus others have expressed an interest in some of it also.

And the finished needlework. We had determined that every member of the family would get a piece of needlework to remember Mom. We have yet to figure out who will get what piece. Some of the pieces held special memories for individuals in the immediate family, and those are now in our homes. But, there is still a lot more to go through. I never realized how much Mom had made until we began clearing out the house and found box after box of completed works! Pictures, pillows, blankets, sachets, light switch covers, eyeglass cases! I can't even begin to list all the different types of items she had finished.

Mom's crafting and collecting is something that I inherited from her. One of my christmas gifts was a new external hard drive for my computer. Since I began digiscrapping, my hard drive has filled up quickly. I moved a bunch of the files this weekend and was able to free up 25G of space! I find it relaxing to scrap, and I can understand how Mom arrived at all the boxes of needlework. I'm my mother's daughter. And rather proud of that! :)

3 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Cherish all those finished needlework items. Those should be passed down from generation to generation because many people do not do things like that anymore (we're too busy or too tired etc.)As for the threads and needles, you might check into a senior action center or assisted living place to see if they would like them.

Glynis said...

What a lovely post, Cynthia! It made me smile to imagine you sifting through her prized collection...and Pat is right--cherish them :)

Sandra said...

That was an awesome posting! Very personal & insightful writing.

I love cross stitch, too. That stash can add up quickly. I agree that senior action centers, as well as battered women's shelters gratefully accept needlework stash donations.

Special pieces in my home are marked on the backside designating who is to receive that piece of needlework after my death. Morbid, I know...but I read that tip in a stitchery book and I do it.